Friday, February 19, 2010

The Guy on the Corner - by Richard Croix

I know you have all seen the Guy on the Corner holding a sign, or just asking for change. Well this weekend I was the Guy on the Corner. As car after car passed by very few even acknowledged my existence. Most of you who did could of cared less about "the Guy on the Corner." Instead of thinking of helping or look of compassion most just gave judgmental looks, shakes of the head in disgust, some even pointed, and laughed.

Talking about hurt, the lack of compassion in my fellow men and women actually brought me to tears. We are so quick to send food, help, money, clothes, and other things thousands of miles away yet we do nothing in our own country. Many of you see us everyday walking around, nothing to do, nowhere to go, but instead of helping - you just turn your heads and walk away. "Why?", I ask myself, have we become blinded by self righteousness to see that we exist as human beings.

Our society has gotten to the point that who you are doesn't matter, but what you drive, wear, eat, and how much you make, is what defines you as a human being. If you don't have a car, or lots of money your life doesn't matter. At least not as much as the guy with the Benz and a wallet full of plastic. It said that, "all men are created equal" and that "no man shall judge another lest he be judged." So, if we believe or trust in God like we say we do then why is there so many just like me hurt and with the feelings of inferiority.

Our own government says "One nation under God," but is that believed or practiced? I say not! No it is not, because we sit and lie to ourselves daily by ignoring the problem in front of us. We cover it up by sending stuff to Haiti, Iraq, Kuwait, and anywhere else. Not that theses people don't deserve our help (and I'm glad to be able to help them). But eventually, at some point if we don't fix the walls of our own home our own house will fall.

So many are in our very own streets holdings signs, begging, starving, and homeless. Yes, some may have done this to themselves but that is for God to judge, not anyone else. In this time, with the economy the way it is, anyone could be the next "Guy on the Corner". Seeing all the hurting and grieving people makes my heart bleed. Especially when I hear that billions of dollars have been set aside to put a nuclear sub at Mayport, Jacksonville.

Can you imagine it was either billions or trillions of dollars that they have ready to spend on this project. Wow! I mean obviously this nuke sub has a place already. Then why waste money that could potentially save lots of lives? Instead we will spend money to make Mayport a high priority place to attack during a time of war. I wonder how many people you could get off the streets with just a billion dollars?

The really sad thought is that we all pride ourselves on being a nation that stands on the fact that we trust in God. That to me is a joke! If it where true and so many supposed 'Christians', or just believers of any religion, stood for their supposed beliefs I wouldn't have walked away with tears in my eyes. With the feeling like I was judged to be beneath those I was asking for help.

It says in the Bible, "..the least you do to my children, you also do to me." So in writing this, I ask you the next time you see the "Guy on the Corner", look deep inside yourself and ask yourself, "Am I any different? Am I anymore of a human being in life because of my material status?" I promise you this much, that no matter what your answer is or your status, one day we will all stand in the same line.

3 comments:

Aramal Malik said...

Awesome, article, Richard. It's honest and insightful.

So many of the guys we work with agree and say the same thing...

jessica croix said...

Great job bro. I am proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Pisses me off.